This articles purpose is to walk you through checking and clearing DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) for the Body Control Module (BCM). When there is an active code you will see the red alarm light illuminate on your dash. This will help figure out where to begin troubleshooting.
The following procedures will allow you to clear DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) that appear on Harley Davidson models equipped with CanBUS
2011 - Current Softail models
2012 - Current Dyna models
2014 - All models except for Vrod
Clearing the trouble codes:
- Press and hold the trip odometer reset switch located on the left handlebar control, while turning the ignitions switch to the ON position.
- Release the trip odometer reset switch when “DIAG” appears on the ODOMETER DISPLAY.
- Press and release the trip odometer reset switch a couple of times until “BCM” is displayed on the odometer display.
* If you see "BCM N" displayed, Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
* If you see "BCM Y" displayed, press and hold the trip odometer switch until the code is displayed (Example: b2141) and release.
- Now press and hold the odometer rest switch until "CLEAR" is displayed.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.